Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thank God for Grams!

Grams all wiped out


As I mentioned in an earlier post, my mom jumped in the car as soon as we notified her that I was admitted to the hospital on June 18th and amazingly she has been here since. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to her departure on July 5th!

Her help with diaper duty, late night baby cuddling and housework has been irreplaceable, but she really came in handy last Wednesday. Ten days after Harper arrived Adam had to go out of town for an interview. I wasn't excited about the prospect of not having him home with us, but I knew my mom's help would make it much easier. Little did I know how much that was true....

We had a good morning and even went out to the hair salon after Adam headed to the airport, but when I woke up from an afternoon nap with a fever things got interesting. A call to the doctor and a trip to the birthing unit confirmed that I had a case of mastitis (an infection of the breast tissue, fairly common among new breastfeeding mothers). The staff kept commenting on my "impressive fever", but luckily they let me go home! Mom put me on bed/couch rest and we managed to survive the next 24 hours until Adam got home.I am eternally grateful that my mom was here (especially when I had to call her cell phone - in the guest room- in the middle of the night because I couldn't stop shaking and needed more medicine).

So, as her long visit comes to an end I can't thank my mom enough. She certainly helped make our transition home much easier and while it wasn't expected, she managed to not only help take care of my baby, but she also took care of hers !

No comments:

Post a Comment