Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Watch Me Grow: 1 Month Old!

Attempting a sitting up picture

Back to the original position

Sorry this post is a little late - things have been a little hectic for us lately (but more about that in a later post). Harper was one month old on July 19th! I can't believe how fast that time went (and the week and a half since didn't slow down at all).

I am going to use this post to document both her development this month and the things I have learned during my first month as a mommy (to a human, at least). I hope it doesn't bore you, but it is really for our memories - so read on if you are interested.

Harper's new tricks:
  • Since her first day home Harper has shown surprising desire and ability to support her head (particularly when we are holding her and she pulls back).
  • She has always made the newborn noises in her bassinet at night, but recently has started a louder "soundtrack" of  making noises to her self (a development that we have declared, half jokingly, will win her a place in her own room sooner rather than later).
  • In the last week she has started to smile in response to things we do (as opposed to the presumed gas smiles we had been getting).
  • She does NOT like being very hot - a problem when you live in un-air conditioned places during a record heat wave!
  • She is starting to give us longer sleep stretches to start the night (with one 6.5 hour stretch... although that only happens for grandma).
  • She loves to be moving - walks in her stroller and rides in the car are particularly popular and usually bring on sleep
  • She has yet to fall in love with hr pacifier (she didn't get one for the first 2.5-3 weeks because of breastfeeding)... there are times when she takes it easily and is soothed, but also times when putting it in her mouth evokes a horrible reaction.
  • Her father thinks it is noteworthy that she has powerful and frequent poops and toots, so I thought I would include it.
Lessons I have learned during month one:
  • I have learned is not smart to try and share a computer with my husband... no, this is not directly related to Harper, but it definitely effects the timeliness of my blogs, so I thought I would include it.
  • I apparently need much less sleep than I used to believe. It is amazing how excited a 4 or 5 hour stretch can make me.
  • Newborns (particularly a breastfed baby, in our case) often seem to eat constantly - this makes accomplishing other things (and keeping mom's sanity) a little difficult at times.
  • It is really hard to find time to pump and create a stock of milk for later use (or feeding help) when you are constantly feeding the baby. (The articles I read recommended pumping an hour after the baby's first morning feeding... a good idea, except she is usually eating again within that hour!)
  • Even a calm baby (Harper) sometimes cries HARD and there isn't always an obvious answer (another thing that can be difficult on the new parents)
  • It is endlessly entertaining and heartwarming to watch Harper and her father spend special time, even if he is making up and singing ridiculous songs for her
  • Having both parents home (or in our temporary locations during our move) has been a Godsend. I fear and dread the day Adam goes back to work and leaves me with both Harper and Hesburgh all day, everyday.
  • There is nothing like the feeling of comforting Harper when she is upset or getting her to doze off in your arms (those rare times when she lets me hold her without wanting to eat, that is).
As you can tell the first month has been an adventure and we are looking forward to everything to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment