Thursday, October 13, 2011

Life as a Big Brother, by Hesburgh Reeves

Hanging out in the shade of the apple tree in my backyard (keeping watch for squirrels)

Making sure Little Sister is safe in this peculiar seat.
Needless to say, I, Hesburgh Reeves, have had to adjust to some major changes in my life over the last year. So, I thought I would share my story. (I  mean come on, there are all sorts of Harper stories on here - everyone must have been dying to hear from me!)

First, my life started to change when mom started getting a big belly and I was told I had to be more "gentle" with her. (I couldn't understand why they didn't want my 70 pound body sitting on her anymore!).

Then one day I was dropped off at my daycare/doggy hotel and when dad picked me up he said I had a new baby sister. This was REALLY confusing because they had been preparing me for "George"... )

Right from the start I knew things were going to be different. I had to share my attention with this little thing and she kept waking me up in the middle of the night! (I was ok with her arrival though because she brought me bones and toys as gifts!)

She does cramp my style a bit sometimes - when we moved I had to share the back seat with her (and mom!), I can't just play with (read: tear up) any toy I find on the floor anymore and when mom takes us on walks together I have to wear my gentle leader (again - why wouldn't them want me to pull them all over the place and run in crazy circles?). But on the whole it is pretty neat to have a baby sister. Sometimes she pets me (with mom and dad's help), sometimes she lays on me (with mom and dad close by), and sometimes she even watches me play in my new backyard (more on this when I take over the blog again later!). I even get to be her protector (from pretty much any dog that looks at her - even from Corby if he gets too close without my permission!)

Overall, being a big brother is pretty cool! Dad is still my best friend, I still get lots of attention and my grandpa still makes me homemade dog treats (hint, hint!!). Now if I could only figure out where that George character went!

No comments:

Post a Comment